From its slate roof to its fieldstone foundations, North House is a stronghold worthy of medieval manor. The house was constructed just four years after the new lake below it began forming. Oriented to the face the water, the porch is a lakeside observation platform. Inside, the vaulted living room ceiling resembles an inverted ship’s hull and a seascape painting is embedded in the plaster over the mantle.
From the Millwheel of May-June 1960, shortly after the the camp was expanded:
"The construction of North House was begun in 1928 ....by Mr. Clarence J. Neal with Mr. Anthony Nosek of Brecksville as architect. About this time there was a terrible blight of the old chestnut trees on the site, so these trees were felled and logs sawed to be used in the general beam structure of both North House and later for the second home, Amity House, which was completed in 1936.
"The 'antique brick' effect in the construction of North House is authentic because the bricks were salvaged from some of the old original buildings around Cleveland's Public Square.
In 1913, Clarence Neal was elected to the Cleveland School Board.